Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Making the right decisions

So I am still recovering from the shock I went through the other day at the Royal Opera House in London… It was amazing; one of the best experiences of my life. I guess I don’t need to tell you that the whole company was absolutely wonderful and flawless. They performed The Sleeping Beauty just like only the Royal Ballet does. It was perfect and… I love them all. Word.

But I am here to talk about decisions. I realised I never really wrote here what I decided about my Translation and Ballet studies. Well then, I am glad to say that I made the right decisions, and this is making me so happy.

You know, last year I loved interpreting, because I found it so dynamic and new, but actually in my inside I always knew I wasn’t made for that. Maybe that is why I couldn’t sleep well the nights before going into a booth. So this year I chose Translation. And I am so happy I made that decision, nice reader. I love the subjects I am taking and find them really motivating and inspiring. I am truly enjoying my time looking for solutions on the Internet, in books and dictionaries. I am really loving this freedom I have to play with words. I am having fun and I can totally see myself doing this for the rest of my life, because I am in love with it. And when you’re enjoying so much an activity, you find it wonderful when you see that your hard work is rewarding. When you receive an e-mail from your favourite teacher, who tells you she hasn’t changed anything on your translation because you write so well. These things, nice reader! These things are motivating and inspiring. These little things make you want to push yourself further; they make you want to achieve perfection, as unreachable as it is! They make you feel happy and love what you do!

And as regards ballet, I told you a few weeks ago that I needed to make a choice between staying with the beginners and going to an intermediate class and pointe. I did make the choice. And it was the right one. I am going to class with the intermediate students. I am not a good dancer: ballet is hard, very hard. But I am dancing. I am really dancing little combinations and I am learning so much. Things are going pretty fast for me: you have to realise that now I am taking class with girls who have been en pointe for many, many years. I am actually asked to dance like them in the centre, even though I have only had four or five pointe classes… so it means that I might have skipped a few years on my ballet training because my beginner teacher believed in me. And my current teacher is so lovely. She is such a beautiful dancer, nice reader. I am glad she accepted to teach me. She believes in me; she thinks I can dance like the others and I feel honoured and grateful, even though sometimes I am simply unable to do what she asks me. But I am trying. I am doing my best. If I fall today, I will stand tomorrow. I am determined to become the best ballet dancer I can. And now I have to encourage you to DANCE, because it is simply a pure wonder, nice reader. Nothing feels like that.


Keep translating and dancing!
Nerea.

6 comments:

  1. I am a new reader here, I started to read your blog like a month or so ago,I never made any comments because altough I read carefully and all I know nothing about ballet... my mum took me to lessons when I was little but as it usually happens, it was her dream, not mine. I like ballet... but I prefer to watch other people's performances. I wanted to say to you that I admire you and I am happy for you for following your dreams and I really hope that you face every challenge with success :)

    ps. I am Spanish but... I thought that making this comment in English would be more appropriate, as the whole blog is written in that language. Best wishes X.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Polly Hello, Polly! It is lovely to receive comments from new readers! Thank you!
    I am glad you are enjoying my blog; thank you for your support. I will totally continue following my dreams. I hope you do the same. Everybody should find this "something" that makes their lives happier!
    ¡Un besazo!
    xxx

    PS: puedes escribir en el idioma que quieras ^^. Yo hago las entradas en inglés porque sé que hay gente que lo lee en muchas partes de mundo. Prefiero que así tengan siempre acceso a lo que digo, porque a veces encuentro un poco frustrante el hecho de ver una entrada nueva en un blog que me gusta... pero está escrita en un idioma que desconozo :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Nerea! Voy a escribirte en castellano, si no es molestia :)
    Te descubrí a través de tu canal de Youtube, y luego comencé a seguirte en Twitter. Más tarde empecé a leer tu blog, y la verdad es que me encantan todas tus entradas. Me gusta mucho ver la pasión, la entrega que pones en lo que haces. Me siento identificada contigo en algunas cosas y muchas veces leerte me hace sonreír. ¡No cambies nunca! Tienes mucha personalidad y llegarás lejos.
    Estoy estudiando 2º de Bachillerato y es ahora cuando debo decidir qué voy a estudiar. Siempre me han encantado los idiomas, y me encantaría estudiar la carrera que estás haciendo, Traducción e Interpretación. ¿El principal problema? No tengo nivel suficiente. Estoy dispuesta a trabajar, pero tengo miedo de no estar hecha para esto y verme obligada a abandonar. No tengo un nivel de inglés muy alto que digamos, pero sé que quiero dedicarme a esto. Es lo que realmente me gusta. ¿Tú qué opinas? ¿Debería arriesgarme... o pensar en otra cosa? Sé que la carrera es dura...
    Me gustaría saber tu opinión, sin ponerte en un compromiso. ¿Por qué comenzaste a estudiar esta carrera?
    Un abrazo, Nerea. Gracias por todo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mar ¿Qué? ¿Que no tienes nivel de inglés suficiente? Perdona que te lo diga, Mar, pero sólo con el hecho de decirme que lees mi blog (muchísimas gracias <3) ya estás demostrando no sólo que tienes nivel, sino también (y sobre todo) que tienes interés y ganas. ¿Cuánta gente de 2º de Bachillerato crees que se sienta delante del ordenador y se pone a leer blogs en un idioma extranjero por puro placer? No sé en tu instituto, pero estoy segura de que en el mío sólo lo hacen las personas interesadas en idiomas y en relaciones internacionales.

    Otra cosa: créeme cuando te digo que después de cuatro años de carrera estoy bastante familiarizada con los estilos de escritura, y sólo con leer ese comentario que acabas de poner, te puedo asegurar que los profesores de traducción y de español estarán encantados contigo.

    Mar, todo se aprende. Evidentemente hay asignaturas más fáciles o más entretenidas que otras, y unas se te darán mejor y otras peor. Pero para mí, TeI es una carrera muy enriquecedora; es preciosa y merece la pena.

    ¿Por qué la empecé a estudiar yo? Pues porque me gustaban los idiomas, como a ti. Me parecía fascinante poder convertirme en una intermediaria entre personas que no se podían entender sin mi ayuda. Y porque me encanta redactar; jugar con el lenguaje y tener en mis manos esa capacidad creativa que sólo da la escritura.

    Mar, si de verdad te gustaría estudiar Traducción, ve a por ello. Adelante. La carrera no te decepcionará. Yo sé que puedes hacerlo, y tú también lo sabes.

    Un besazo,
    Nerea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muchísimas gracias, Nerea. Me has dado el empujoncito que necesitaba para comenzar a luchar por entrar en esta carrera. Sigo teniendo muchas dudas, pero tengo ganas de intentarlo, de trabajar y de conseguir lo que siempre he querido.
    Gracias por todo :)
    Un beso muy fuerte.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Mar No hay de qué. Adelante y ánimo, ¡que tú puedes con eso y con mucho más!

    ReplyDelete